Monday, March 18, 2013

They got hitched, we got quilled!

Working for The Goldfish Pool is so much fun. My first assignment? A 3-foot tall quilled monogram for a couple. My boss/friend, Abba, designed a neat wedding invitation for them, adorned with quilled blue and yellow paper. They were so happy they wanted monograms for the reception to match the invites. Lucky for me, I got the project! It has been a while since I last visited Marikina to buy rubberfoam (our chosen material). I went with my beau so he could help me with directions.. I mean with the weight. Hehe.
This was actually part of our Valentine's date. :P
The last time I quilled was when I taught at a summer art workshop last year in Georgia Academy Antipolo. And it was just three stems of flower. So I image searched quilling and found a beautiful one with ombre colors. The store only has shades of blue but only one shade for yellow. So we got those and two little bottles of adhesive. (If you need more details about the foam, just post a message and I'll gladly help you.)I created a base, the two letters made into blocks, where the quilling are glued to.Strips of foam were used for the quilling. Unlike paper, foam can't be formed/pressed without gluing it on the base as it springs back to its original form. Drawing lines on the base helped in positioning the strips but I wasn't so up tight in following them. I drew tight swirls but wasn't able to follow them because it was a bit tricky, and sometimes I don't want to follow my own plan. Lol. 

Making the monogram and hanging decors took 36 hours plus. We mounted them on the arch provided by the caterer of the reception, luckily there were screws right where we need them to be. It was really a blessing to have worked on this project, did I mention that this was my first wedding project that was not a favor for a friend/relative? ^_^ Cheers!
By the way, I also made a cake topper for them. ^_^



No comments:

Post a Comment